Sunday, January 15, 2006

TJs in West Hartford is Awesome!

Here she is, Trader Joe's West Hartford! I was back east for a couple of days this past week and I decided that even though a blog is a wonderful thing for introducing Trader Joe's to my mom and dad, a shopping tour would be the best thing ever. Luckily my mom was game (she's usually up for anything as long as it doesn't involve snow).

We walked slowly around the store to each of the different sections, while I talked about which products were my favorite and why. We got a couple of strange looks, but I did notice some people listening now and again. The Trader Joe's employees were all very smiley and helpful. I love how Trader Joe's hires the same people on the East Coast as on the West Coast (ethnically diverse, friendly, happy to be there, who knew those people existed outside of sunny California?)

I had a really fun time giving my mom a tour of her newly opened Trader Joe's. Part of the fun was finding new products that Trader Joe's doesn't offer in my California store, like Challah (it looked yummy!) and a fancy frozen pot roast dinner that looked like it might become one of my go-to meals (if only it was in California, hint hint). This Trader Joe's, probably because its new, has the most amazing sample section, which is so great, because that really is one of the best things about Trader Joe's, that you never have to go hungry whilst shopping.

Unfortunately, this Trader Joe's didn't have as large a selection of prepared fresh meals (I can only move back to West Hartford when the TJs gets in the Stuffed Bell Peppers) but that won't really bother my parents since they like to cook anyway. But they will be bothered by the fact that TJsWH doesn't sell any liquor. That's just so funny because Trader Joe's is known in California for its really cheap and delicious wine and beer. A funny (funny teehee but not LOL funny) story that probably everyone reading this blog has already heard a million times: My best friend Dale and I managed an eating club in college where we had to purchase large supplies of cheap food and liquor. We bought the majority of our booze from Trader Joe's. When I first moved to Los Angeles, I lived on Dale's couch in West Hollywood and he let me know that there was a Trader Joe's within walking distance of his apartment. I was confused because I thought that Trader Joe's only sold liquor. Oh look how far I've come, Trader Joe's!

I thought maybe the tour of Trader Joe's was a little much but my mom said that it was actually really helpful. She thought that it was nice to have someone point out specific foods to try because Trader Joe's is filled with a lot of crazy unfamiliar options. I liked doing the tour because it gave me some more ideas for blog posts and meals. I also realized that this blog is going to be great for me and Paul, because it's going to force me to try new things and branch out beyond my six or seven meals that I like to cook from Trader Joe's. Because otherwise the blog would be done and over with in six or seven posts.

And of course the best part of going to Trader Joe's West Hartford was that we did a little shopping. My mom really liked the packaged Indian foods that come in boxes and are sealed in cool silver space age pouches (but you don't find that out until you open the box). She also got some hummus and guacamole to try, along with some mini-pitas. I also convinced her to get the Greek Style Plain Yogurt (I swear they haven't paid me). I have to admit it was really satisfying when she tried it this morning and declared it "Amazing!"